Monday, July 1, 2013

Haunted House: The true story

A Big Surprise!

"Home" shouted Jed.
"Milk and cookies" shouted Bill.
Liza ran to the front door.
"That's funny" She said. "The door  is locked. Mom didn't say anything about going out, did she?"
"Not to me" Said Bill. "Ring the bell. Maybe the door just slummed shut....."
Liza rang the bell, but there was no answer. "Just our luck" Said Bill. "And I could almost taste milk and cookies. Maybe we could go in through a window."
"Mom will probably be here in a few minutes" Said Jed. "Your stomach can wait."
There three children sat down on the steps. A few minutes later Liza said, "Here's the car now. And Dad's wit Mom. I wonder if anything is wrong."
Mrs. Robert got out of the car. She said, "Children I'm sorry. I was sure I would be back before you got home." "Where have you been?" ask Bill.
"Buying a house." said Mrs. Roberts.
"Buying a house!" said the children.
"Yes, we just bought the marvelous place." Said Mrs. Roberts. "It's just what you children wanted, a house with lots of woods."
"Hurray!" shouted the Children
"Do we know the house?" asked Liza.
"I think so" said Dad. "It's  the old. Black place ."

"The haunted house" Said the children.
"Oh, no!" said Liza. "You can't do that to us. I won't live in a haunted house."
"Now just a minute, Liza." said Dad. "It's true  people call it that, but there's never been any proud of it. Any house that stays vacant for a long time is likely to gain that reputation."
"Dad, why did no one live there....?" asked Jed.
"Because it was haunted, stupid." said Bill.
"Nobody wants to live in haunted house."
"The real reason," said Dad, "was a legal tangle which would not permit the house to be sold or rented. but that's been cleared up."
"Jack Hobbs has been the caretaker," said Mom, "so the place is in quite good condition. You children are going to love it."
No, I'm not!" said Liza. "I'll lose all my friends. Nobody will come to see me in a haunted house."
"Is that a promise.?" said Bill. "No more giggling girls!Let's move today."
"And just think," said Jed, 'we can have Halloween all year round with real live ghosts."
"Oh, you're both mean!" screamed Liza.
"You're trying to scare me."
"Don't worry, Liza," said Bill. "Your screams would unhaunt any house. No respectable ghost could stand it."
"Liza," said Dad, "you're being silly. You know there's no such thing as a ghost."
But Liza stamped out of the room. Seconds later they heard the door to her room slam.
"She's really mad," said Dad.
"She'll get over it," said bill. "Dad, could it have been the caretaker who haunted the house? You know, just to keep people away?"
"Bo," saif Dad. "The first two caretakers lived in the house, but each of them left because they said they heard strange noises there. Then Jack Hobbs took over, but he never lived in the house. He had his own place. I think it was because of the first caretakers that the house began to be called haunted. Thenwhen it stayed empty the stories grew."
"Do you think we should take the house?" asked Bill. "I love mysteries, but I don't know about tangling with a ghost."
"You're as bad as Liza" said Dad. "You just wait. You're going to love it as much as Mom and I do."
"When are we going to move?" asked Jed.
"The first of the month," said Dad.
"The forst of the month!" said Bill. "That's just a few days away."
"That's right," said Mom, "and it means work for all of us. I want you children to sort through your things and get rid of all you no longer use."
"Get rid of!" said Bill. "I thought we were moving so we would have more space."
"True," said Mom. "But knowing you children there will never be enough space for all you collect."
"Oh, all right," said Bill. "We'll start tomorrow."
Liza came back in the room. She was crying.
"Why the tears?" asked Mom.
"Oh, Mom!" said Liza. "I just realized that if we move Mary and Jimmy won't be our next-door neighbors anymore."
"That's right!" said Bill. "We've live next door to Mary and Jimmy all our lives. Why, they're our very best friends."
"Don't worry about it," said Dad. "You can have Mary and Jimmy out to visit."
"But it won't be the same," said Liza.
"Do we have to move, Dad?" asked Bill.
"Yes, we're going to move," said Dad.
"And I'll bet all  three of you are going to love it."
But that night all three children went to bed unhappy about the move.
------------------------------000000------------------------------
The New House

The next morning Liza was very quiet as she walked to school with Bill and Jed.
"Cheer up, Liza," said Jed. "It may not be too bad."
"Are you fellows going to tell?" asked Liza.
"Tell what?" said Bill.
"About the new house," said Liza.
"Of course," said Bill. "It will make celebrities of us."
"Don't you want to tell?" asked Jed.
"I'm just not ready to talk about it yet," said Liza.
"Maybe Liza's right," said Jed. "Maybe we shouldn't."
"Why not?" said Bill. "We've got big news and I'm all for telling it. Not everybody gets to live in a haunted house."
"But everybody will ask questions and we can't answer them," said Jed. "Remember, we haven't even been in the place. We'll feel dumb when we don't know anything to tell them."
"Yeah," said Bill. " I guess I would feel  pretty stupid having to say 'I don't know' all the time. Let's not tell."
"Agreed," said Jed. "Okay, Liza?"
"Agreed," said Liza.
When the children got home from school Mom was waiting on the porch.
"There your are," she said. "I was hoping you would come straight home."
"Wjat's the rush, Mom?" asked Jed. "Is something wrong?"
"Oh, no," said Mom. "But we have a cleaning crew working in the new house. I want to be sure everything is done properly. And I'm sure you three want to seethe place. So get yourselves a quick snack and we'll go over there."
The children went to the kitchen.
"Things sure are moving fast," said Bill.
"Too fast for me," said Liza.
"Oh, I don't know," said Jed. "I'm beginning to get kind of excited about it all."
"Come to think of it," said Bill, "so am I."
The children ate their snack and rushed back to their mother.
"That was quick," said Mom. "Hop into the car."
As they were riding along Liza said,
"Mom, how will we ever get to school?" We sure can't walk."
"Don't worry," said Mom. "There's bus service. Your father has already checked that."
"That will be the life," said Bill. "I hope it's door-to-door service."
"It is, " said Mom.
"This moving has its good points after all," said Jed.
"I think you will like the house," said Mom, "especially when you see the nice basement it has."
Mom turned into a long driveway.
"I never saw the house close up," said Jed.
"It sure is sprawly."
"Now," said Mom, "I'm going to leave you children to explore as you will. Just stay out of the way of the cleaning people."
The children took agood long look at the house.
"Our very own haunted house," said Bill.
"Who's supposed to haunt it?" asked Jed.
"Gee," said Bill, "I never thought of that. I mean that it had to be somebody. I thought it was just a ghost."
"It doesn'' look haunted to me," said Liza.
"It looks just like an ordinary house."
"Time will tell," said Bill. "Anyway, let's go in. What are we waiting for?"
Inside it was all confusion. The cleaning people were everywhere.
"Ugh," said Bill. "I can't stand this. Let's explore outside."
"But I want to see my room," said Liza.
"I forgot that," said Bill. "Hey, Mom!"
"Right here," answered Mom.
"Where do we sleep?" asked Bill.
"I'll show you," said Mom. "Come along."
"This house goes on and on," said Bill.
"You children will have to make a decision about rooms," said Mom. "Jed and Bill can have this room and Liza can havethe one next to it, or if you want separate rooms there's an extra one upstairs next to ours. But that's your decision to make."
The children looked at one another. Then slowly they shook their heads.
"We'll stick together," said Jed.
Mom laughed and said, "I thought you would say that."
"Okay," said Jed. "We've seen our rooms. Now let's go look at the basement."
"All right," said Bill. "Then we'll go outside and explore."
"Come back in an hour or so," said Mom. "I do have to get home and make some dinner for us."
"Yeah, man." said Bill. "Haunted house or not, we've still got to eat."
"Don't worry, Mom," said Jed. "Bill will get us back in plenty of time."
-----------------------000000-----------------
In The News

That night at supper everybody wanted at once. "Dad," said Jed, "that place is really neat. It's even better than at Grandpa's."
"I never tghought I'd hear you say that," said Dad.
"And, Dad," said Bill, "we found just the right tree for a tree house. We never got one built last summer, but this is a better tree thanthe one at Grandpa's"
"Better let me check it before you begin," said Dad. "Let's make sure it is a safe tree."
"Okay," said Jed.
"I forgot to look," said Liza. "Does the house have an attic? I've always wanted to live in a house with an attic."
"It has a real old-fashioned attic," said Dad.
"And one that is full of junk," said Mom.
"That will be a rainy-day job for you children."
"You mean stuff was left in it?" asked Bill.
"Yes," said Dad. "We said we would be responsible for cleaning it up."
"Maybe we'll find something valuable," said Jed.
"I doubt it," said Mom. "But then you nver can tell about old places like that."
"I wish moving day was tomorrow," said Bill.
"Don't worry," said Mom. "It will come soon enough."
"You children were so full of talk I forgot to tell you the big news," said Dad.
"Big news!" said Liza. "What big news?"
"We made the paper today," said Dad.
"There's a piece in the afternoon adition about our buying the house."
"Ypies!" said Bill. "Where's the paper?"
All three children tore away from the table.
:Bring it in here," said Mom, "I want to hear it, too,"
Jed reached the paper first.
"Look," he ssaid. "here it is on the front page, 'Haunted House Has New Owners.'"
"That's us, "said Bill.
"Do hush, Bill," said Liza. "Hurry up, Jed."
The children went back to the dining room.
"You read it, Jed," said Mom.
"Okay, here goes," said Jed." "The haunted house," which has been vacant for many years, has new owners. Thne Jack Roberts family has bought the old Blake place.
" "The house was built in 1920 by John Blake. He lived in it until his death ten years ago. Since that time, because of legal complications, the house has remained vacant. Caretakers refused to live in it. They say John Blake come back at night.
"Perhaps the Robertses will clear up this mystery. We wish them luck intheir venture.'"
"That makes me feel all creepy," said Liza.
"Anyway, we know who is supposed to haunt the house, "said Bill.
"I wonder why John Blake comes back," said Jed.
"Maybe he left a buried treasure or something," said Bill.
"Why couldn't we have just an ordinary house?" asked Liza.
"Pooh!" said Bill. "That would be no fun. Anybody can have an ordinary house. Give me a good old haunted one anytime."
"Mom!" said Jed. "I just realized we start our spring vacation at the same time as we move."
"I know," said Mom. "And I'm delighted. I'm going to need all the help I can get."
Liza was very quiet.
"What happened to you, Liza?" asked Dad.
"You haven't said anything for at least two minutes."
"Do you really think my friends will come to see me in a haunted house?" asked Liza.
"You just wait," said Dad. "They'll be begging for invitations."
"Sure," said Mom. "And when we get settled you children can have a party and invite all your friends to see a real haunted house."
"That will be neat," said Jed.
"Okay," said Dad, "off to bed with you. Tomorrow is another school day."
---------------------------
Moving Day

The next few days were busy ones. The movers brought over packing boxes, and Liza, Jed, and Bill were responsible for packing their own things. They had to make up their minds about what to throw away and what to keep.
Finally moving day came. The whole family was up and waiting when the van arrived. When the van was loaded, Mom said, "All right, children, we'll go ahead so we can tell them where to put things."
Everybody piled into the car.
"This just doesn't seem real," said Liza.
"We're leaving the house we've lived in all our lives."
"Up and on to better things." said Dad
"But I'm not sure it's better," said Liza. "I already feel homesick for my old room."
"That's all right," said Mom. "To tell the truth, I feel a little bit that way myself. But I'm sure we'll both get over it as soon as we get the new house fixed up."
"Ah, girls," said Bill. "You never are sure of what yhou want."
"But that's a fact of life," said Dad. "We have just have to take them as they are."
"Yeah, I guess you're right," said Bill.
After that everybody was quiet until they reached their new home. The moving van wasn't far behind them.
"Now you children stay out of the way until they get the furniture unloaded," said Dad. "Then we'll need you to pitch in."
"That's right," said Mom. "You're responsible for doing your own rooms."
"Okay," said Jed. "We'll stay outside until the moving men have finished."
The children watched the movers carry in the furniture. As soon as they had finished the children went to their rooms and began to unpack their things. Finally that afternoon Bill said, "That's enough. I've got to take a break."
"I'm with you on that," said Jed. "Let's get Liza and go to the woods."
"Good idea," said Bill.
Liza was ready to stop, too. She said, "I've never worked that hard in one day. What are we going to do?"
"Go to the woods," said Bill.
The children went outside. Dad was there.
"We've had enough of workjing," said Jed.
"Is it all right if we go to the woods?"
"Sure," said Dad. "I feel the same way."
"Then would you go with us and check our tree for the tree house?" asked Bill
"All right," said Dad. "I can show you the boundary line for our woods, too."
"Boundary line!" said Jed. "I thought we owned all of the woods."
"Oh, no," said Dad. "We only own half of them."
Jed and Bill ran ahead to the woods. But Liza held her father's hand and skipped along beside him.
"Okay, Dad," said Jed. "This is it."
"It's a nice one, too," said Dad.
Dad went around testing the limbs. Then he said, "This is a good tree for a tree house."
"Yippee!" said Bill.
"Now where is the boundary line, Dad?" asked Jed.
"Back this way." said Dad. They walked through the woods. Finally they came to a fence.
"Is this it?" asked Bill.
"Yes," said Dad. "We own the land up to the fence."
"Who owns the rest?" asked Jed.
"Mr. Dan Coleman," said Dad.
On the way back home Jed said, "How can we get wood for our tree house? Will our allowances cover it?"
"I doubt it," said Dad. "But I've got a proposition to make.
"What is it?" asked Bill.
"There's a shed out back that's falling down. If you will take it apart and take out all the old nails, you can have the wood for your tree house."
"You've got yourself a deal," said Jed.
"Sure," said Bill. "We'll start tomorrow."
"Just be careful ofthe nails," said Dad.
"They may be rusty and it could be dangerous if you get scratched."
That night everybody was tired. After a picnic supper Dad lit the fire in the living room. The family was all ready to relax for a while.
"I didn't know moving was such hard work," said Bill.
"There's still lots to do," said Mom. "But the worst of it is over."
"And let's hope we don't ever have to do it again," said Dad. "I like this place and there's plenty of room."
"You know," said Liza, "I think I'm going to like it here after all. My room's really great."
"Hallelujah," said Jed. "That's the first nice thing Liza has said about the house."
"I can't help it if I don't like a haunted house," said Liza. "But I don't think this one really is.It feels just like any other house."
"You wait until John Blake starts walking," said Bill. "You'll believe it then."
"You're just being silly," said Liza. "You don't believe in ghosts either."
"I wouldn't be too sure of that," said Bill. "I have an honest respect for them. Dad, do you think we'll see John Blake, or does he just walk when everybody is asleep?"
"You've got me," said Dad. "Never having been aquainted with a ghost, I don't know their habits."
"Stop it, both of you," said Liza.
"Oh, well,"said Jed. "If you don't believe in ghosts you won't be able to see them anyway."
"Where did you pic up that bit of wisdom?" asked Dad.
 "That's what they say about fairies," said Jed. "So I expect it's true for ghosts, too."
"Who cares?" said Liza. "John Blake can walk all he wants to tonight. I'm so sleepy I'll never know it."
"That's quite enough talk about ghosts," said Mom. "I think it's bedtime for everybody."
--------------------000000------------------
 Scare For Liza

Nobody fussed about going to bed that night. Mom and Dad went upstairs to their room at the same time the children went to theirs.
Liza undressed and got into bed.
"Gee," she said. "There must be a full moon tonight. It's so light in here."
She got up and went to the window to see. Sure enough, the moon was big and round.
"The moonlight makes everything look so ghosty," thought Liza. "I wish Mom and Dad were downstairs with us. But I don't care. I'm going to sleep."
Liza climbed into bed and was asleep minutes later.
A hush settled over the house. Only the chirping of crickets and the croaking of frogs broke the stillness of the night.
Then suddenly a white figure appeared in Liza's doorway. An eerie voice began to chant, "Who is it?Who is there?"
Liza turned and opened her eyes. Then her scream rang through the night. The white figure glided from the doorway and disappeared. But Liza continued to scream.
Mom and Dad come running. Jed and Bill came soon after.
"What is it? What is it?" they asked.
"Liza do stop screaming and tell us what happened." said Mom.
Liza began to sob. She said, "The ghost, the ghost was right here, right in my room."
"Oh, come on, baby," said Dad. "You were just having a bad dream."
"No!" shrieked Liza. "It woke me up saying, 'Who is it?Who is there?"
Jed and Bill were shifting from one foot to the other. They both looked very uncomfortable. Dad saw this.
"All right, boys," he said. "Is this your doing?" Jed hung his head and said, "Yes."
"But, Dad, we didn't know it would scare her like that," said Bill.
"You knew she was already uneasy about this house. Now look at what you've caused," said Dad.
Both boys looked ashamed.
"We apologize," said Jed. "We really didn't mean to scare you."
"You mean it was you!" sobbed Liza.
"It was Bill with a sheet around him," said Jed. "But I was with him."
"You're mean!" screamed Liza. "You're the most hateful boys I ever saw."
"Shh," said Mom. "That's enough. Just calm down now."
"I think you boys had better go back to your room," said Dad. "But you must be punished for this thoughtlessness. We'll talk about it at breakfast."
The boys went back to their room without a word.
Mom said, "I'll stay with Liza until she gets to sleep."
"In that case," said Dad, "I'll go back to bed. Don't worry, baby. It's all right."
Liza was still clinging to her mother, but she said, "Good night, Dad."

The Mysterious Message

No comments:

Post a Comment