Monday, July 8, 2013

Short story: Teenage Love Story

She walks into the hallway and I catch my breath. My eyes light up when she smiles at me, but  she doesn't notice it. She walks up to me and gives me a casual greeting and I reply hoping I  said the right thing. We stand there conversing and not knowing what to say I talk about some  girl I have just met looking at her all the time trying to tell her that if she would just let me love  her no one else would mean anything to me. She says a casual goodbye and walks away  hurriedly likes she's eager to get away from me and I stand there faking a smile and saying "see  you later", when all I want to do is pull her to me, turn her around and say give me that chance  and we could be everything.

But she's doesn't care for me like that.
It's graudation and I stand there looking at her as she walks down the stage with her certificate. Even now I still loved her, she still was my best friend. I turned and headed to the door where she was standing.
 "Jake, can you believe  it!" she said as she hugged me.
"Yes Kate", we're finally out of high school"

She pulled out of my arms and smiled up at me.

"I'll miss you Jake."

I was a bit puzzled, "Miss me? I'm not going anywhere, we still have prom."

"Yes but it won't be just us forever. There will be new people in our lives sooner or later."

I sighed. "Yes Kate I know, but  I'll always remember you."

With that I watched her walk away thinking that if she could just give me that chance it would be us two forever.

But I knew she didn't care for me like that.

I gave up wishing. It had been years ago since we were teenagers and she would never love me the way I love her, but still as I stood there looking at her as she fixed my tie I couldn't help but to wish she was the one I was marrying in a few minutes.
"I am so happy you came Katy"
She smiled at me, "You didn't think I would miss my best friend's wedding?"
There was a rap on the door, "It's time Jake" a voice on the other end said.
I looked at her, I had to tell her how I felt

"Katy … " I said, "Have you found your special someone?"

She looked a me a sad look in her eyes,

"Yes Jake, I found him, I had him for a long time".

The word I was about to tell her died in my throat.

"Oh , I am happy for you then." I said  and couldn't help feeling a bit sad  that it wasn't me.

"Jake … I'm going now" she said her eyes filled with tears.

"Katy …"I said, not knowing what to say to her.

"Bye Jake, I will always remember you" she said as she walked out the door.

I stared at her retreating back knowing that this was the end.

Ten years later I stand looking at the coffin of the girl who was my best friend as I listened to what her friend was saying …

"I walk into the hallway and I see him. I catch his eyes and give him a smile hoping that it came out alright. My heart was racing. The sight of him takes my breath away. I go up to him and he greets me casually like he would rather be anywhere but here talking to me. He talks about his new love interest and I stay there trying not to burst out in tears. He looks at me and I avoid his eyes thinking he's picturing me as her. I couldn't take it anymore so I mutter goodbye hoping he would stop me. But all he says is "see you later" and I walk away my heart breaking while I wished he would give me the chance to be with him.
Page 3
We'd be perfect together. But he doesn't care for me like that …"

And I leaned over and cried my heart out.

No comments:

Post a Comment